If you have been injured, ill or have a chronic medical condition, you want relief from pain and a return to a more normal lifestyle. There are a number of ways you can achieve this, and one is through aquatic therapy. What is aquatic therapy and its benefits? What should you take into consideration if you are looking into aquatic therapy? The professionals at Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center, provide aquatic therapy in Towson and the surrounding area for those dealing with pain.
What is Aquatic Therapy?
Aquatic therapy consists of controlled exercises and hands-on techniques supervised by a physical therapist while in the water. Aquatic therapy uses the water to improve body function, increase mobility and promote healing with less impact to the body. When combined with other therapy techniques, patients can perform functions in the water that may not have been possible outside the pool.
Benefits of Aquatic Therapy
There are a number of benefits to aquatic therapy, including:
- Pain Relief: Aquatic therapy can provide pain relief from recent injuries, illness or chronic pain.
- Flexibility: Aquatic therapy is a flexible option for physical therapy as it requires no special equipment.
- Don’t Sweat It: Since you are in the water, you can get a great physical therapy workout without the sweat while building strength, improving flexibility, and increasing circulation.
- Gentle Resistance: Water resistance is gentle and doesn’t strain the body like other resistance exercises can.
- Stress Reduction: Being in the water can relieve stress which aids in overall healing.
- No Age Limits: Aquatic therapy has no age restrictions and works for children up to the elderly.
- Joint Health: Aquatic therapy can provide physical therapy without joint strain.
- Improved Balance: Aquatic therapy (especially for those who may have one side weakened due to a stroke or injury or illness) can help the patient improve balance while strengthening the body.
- Aquatic therapy can be done any time of the year but is especially useful in spring and summer when people are more active.
- Aquatic therapy provides relief for a number of health conditions.
Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center
If you are looking for aquatic therapy in Towson, contact the Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center, and get started today with your aquatic therapy treatment plan today. Dr. Neil Cohen has over 35 years of experience successfully treating thousands of patients in need of aquatic therapy in Towson MD.