When tendons, bone, or tissue put added pressure on nerve roots, it’s known as a pinched (or compressed) nerve. Pinched nerves can cause a great deal of pain, and people who suffer from them need relief not just from the pain but from the underlying cause. The professionals at Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center, have a professional physical therapist in Rosedale MD that can help treat pinched nerves and relieve pain.
What Causes Pinched Nerves?
Pinched nerves can be caused by a number of factors. Included causes are:
- Injuries (such as sports injuries or accidents).
- Repetitive physical activity leads to stress on the nerve.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Bone spurs.
Symptoms of a Pinched Nerve
What are some signs of a pinched nerve? How does a pinched nerve feel? Pinched nerve symptoms include the following:
- Extreme discomfort/pain.
- Numbness in the area or extremities.
- Weak feeling in the area affected.
- Tingling sensation (what is sometimes called a “pins and needles” feeling).
- Sharp pains.
How Physical Therapy and Chiropractic Care Can Help
A physical therapist or a chiropractor can help patients dealing with pinched nerves get relief by helping alleviate the underlying cause of the pain. Some techniques used by a physical therapist or chiropractor could include:
- Spinal adjustments by a chiropractor can help alleviate the pressure on nerves allowing them to work properly instead of being pinched or compressed. Relieving the pressure will help improve the symptoms.
- Massage therapy is another way to alleviate pressure caused by muscles compressing the nerves. It also helps reduce the number of spasms the muscles the patient may have experienced.
- Cryotherapy is the use of very cold temperatures at the site of the pinched nerve. This reduces swelling in the area which relieves compression on the nerve.
- Physical therapy provides a number of controlled exercises or movements designed to help muscles and joints regain strength and flexibility caused by the pinched nerve.
Looking for a Physical Therapist in Rosedale MD
If you live in the Rosedale, Maryland area and suffer from a pinched nerve, the professionals at Comprehensive Spine and Sport, can help you find relief. Call Comprehensive Spine and Sport for help with your pinched nerve pain.