Shoulder injuries can happen at any time, and it’s important to take care of them as quickly as possible to prevent further damage. A physical therapist can provide a great deal of support and help facilitate recovery from shoulder injuries. The professionals at Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center, your physical therapist in White Marsh, can help you if you are dealing with a shoulder injury.
Causes of Shoulder Injuries
Shoulder injuries can be caused suddenly or by overuse of the area. Both sudden and overuse injuries can cause a great deal of pain and discomfort.
Sudden injuries to the shoulder can be caused by falls or blows to the area causing damage. The damage sudden injuries can cause include:
- Bruising or tears.
- Injuries to the tendons, ligaments and nerves in the shoulder.
- Muscle strains.
- Torn rotator cuff injuries.
- Dislocation of the joint or breaks to the bones in the shoulder.
Overuse injuries are those caused by repeated movements in the shoulder area that wears down the shoulder’s components. These include:
- Bursitis or tendinitis (inflammation in the muscles, tendons and ligaments).
- Restricted movement in the shoulder area (called “frozen” shoulder).
- Muscle strains causing pain.
- Rotator cuff inflammation known as impingement syndrome.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
Physical therapy combines a number of different treatments to help alleviate pain and speed recovery. These include:
- Cold/Ice Therapy: application of cold packs to reduce swelling and inflammation can help alleviate pain. This is best used within the first 72 hours of injury.
- Hot/Heat Therapy: after 72 hours have passed, heat therapy can be used to help relieve muscle tension and pain.
- Area Manipulation: using their hands, the physical therapist can relax the muscles and improve mobility in the shoulder.
- Stretches: using controlled stretches under the direction of the physical therapist can help improve mobility.
- Education: the physical therapist can also provide you with exercises you can do at work and home. In addition, the therapist can help facilitation work modifications to prevent further injury.
Physical Therapist in White Marsh
You do not have to live with shoulder pain. Dr. Neil Cohen has over 35 years of experience and you can get relief by scheduling physical therapy sessions at Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center.