Don’t take carpal tunnel syndrome lightly. Not only it is painful, but performing daily tasks involving your hands takes longer as it is more difficult to perform fine motor movements. Luckily, if you need a physical therapist in Parkville, we can help get you on the road to recovery. Please read on to learn more about treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome at Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center in Essex.
Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- Dropping things: This goes beyond simple clumsiness and is either due to weakness, numbness, or the loss of spatial awareness regarding the hand.
- Weakness: Makes it difficult to perform fine motor movements such as fastening buttons.
- Pain or tingling that travels up the forearm.
- Burning or numbness in the hand or up to the forearm.
If you recognize any of these symptoms in yourself, visit a physical therapist before the symptoms worsen.
How Physical Therapy Helps
In 2017, a study was published where 50 out of 100 patients were treated for carpal tunnel syndrome with physical therapy. Researchers found that after the 1-month mark, patients in the physical therapy group experienced faster improvements than the patients who underwent carpal tunnel surgery. They experienced better grip strength and better hand function.
Need a Physical Therapist in Parkville?
Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center uses several physical therapy tools to treat carpal tunnel syndrome such as:
- Cryotherapy: Cold temperatures reduce inflammation
- Electrical stimulation: Gently stimulates the nerve to reduce swelling and inflammation
- Heat Therapy: Helps to improve blood flow and increase circulation
- Iontophoresis: An electrical current delivers medication
- Phonophoresis: Uses ultrasounds to enhance topical medications
- Ultrasound: Can be used as a diagnostic tool and as a therapeutic device
Plus, Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center provides aquatic therapy, chiropractic services and more.
If you suspect you are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome, now is the time to find a physical therapist. If not treated, carpal tunnel syndrome negatively impacts your health and well-being. Contact Comprehensive Spine and Sports Center today for an appointment. Your hands will thank you!